I have always had my own distinct style when it comes to fashion. I like to say that I am a good mix of Blair Waldorf and Serena Van Der Woodsen: Pearls one day and a leather jacket the next. This eclectic mix of styles is probably why accepting that I am actually
a basic bitch college prep at heart has been a bit of a hurdle for me. I don’t mean this in a snarky way. There is NOTHING wrong with loving what other college girls my age are into. But I must say that I have to laugh at myself on occasion. Preppy college style can get really predictable sometimes. These style cliches got me thinking… what fashion qualities make you a “college prep”?
1. Hagrid Can Fit Into Your T-shirts (guilty) So I don’t know when giant tent sized t-shirts became cool (or if in retrospect they actually are), but I, and preppy girls across America love them. Um, maam… are you wearing shorts under that? Duh… Nike shorts.
2. You Wear Leggings As Pants (guilty) Leggings ARE pants. Shame on you for saying other wise. I mean it’s not like they look inappropriate as pants? My giant T shirt completely covers my bottom anyway?
3. You Cart Your Junk Around in a Longchamp I love these overpriced nylon bags so much. I don’t know why but I do. I have had my eye on a navy one for quite some time now, but still have yet to pull the trigger. They are just a great bag to throw things in for class, or to just use as a regular purse!
4. You Monogram Everything And I mean EVERYTHING. Nothing is safe. Your car (guilty), your binder, your laptop (guilty), your pullover (guilty), your rain boots, you name it… I bet it has a monogram on it! I mean that’s probably smart anyway, what if you forget that it’s yours?!
5. Lilly Lilly Lilly Rockin Everywhere (guilty) “Lilly Pulitzer is a goddess. End of story.” said every prep in America.
6. Your Boyfriend Got You Kendra Scott Jewelry for Your Birthday (guilty) Oh how I love Kendra Scott jewelry. I really do. However, it doeees drive me a bit nuts that at any given time I can point out three girls in a fifty foot radius of me that are wearing it. Just saying.
7. Sarah Vickers and KJP Set Your Relationship Goals (guilty) I mean seriously. How could they not? I want to be proposed to in front of an Irish castle with fireworks in the background!! Sarah V and KJP are New England prep personified.They were one of America’s top thirteen preppiest couples for a reason after all…
8. Pearl Studs Are Your Go To (guilty) T shirt and shorts? Better believe I still have my pearl studs in. They upgrade my outfit at least a solid point just by wearing them. Clearly.
9. Tory Burch Constitutes Half of Your Shoe Collection (guilty) Tory Burch shoes are shoe crack. I can’t stop. I don’t know why I need Reva flats in every color. But I just do!!
10. Your Baseball Hat Collection Is Well… Massive (guilty) I love my baseball hats. They are such a fun thing to collect and they hide my
third second day hair quite nicely. J Crew baseball hats got my collection started, but I have had my eye on this one from Southern Proper for a while!
Make sure to shop my favorite preppy picks here:
For more College goodness:
5 Things You Didn’t Know About College– We all have expectations about college. Some of them turned out to be true, some of them didn’t! Read my advice before heading into your freshman year of college.
How to Be THAT Girl– We all know one. That girl that has everything completed on her to do list, makes time to fit in her yoga routine, and has perfectly blown out hair to boot. YOU can be that girl.
Lilly Pulitzer for Target– The moment we have all been waiting for is here! Check out my favorite picks from the Lilly Pulitzer for Target collaboration hitting stores this April!